General information on content sharing in VMRs


  • The bandwidth for the presentation channel is adaptive, it varies depending on the presented content.
  • If we receive high resolution and high fps, it will take up to 75% of the total bandwidth in order to preserve presentation quality. (The rationale being that if something is presented then that is most likely more important than the main video.)
  • If presentation is high resolution and low fps, it probably doesn’t need more than 25% of the total bandwidth, and the remaining 75% of the bandwidth will be used to get good quality main video.
  • (In point-to-point calls you will most likely get a more even 50/50 split of the bandwidth between main stream and content.)

Resolution and frame rate

  • We will try to preserve the sharpness of the presented content, meaning we will try to send the same resolution as the content we receive.
  • We will try to send the same frame rate as we receive.
  • We will never send higher resolution or higher frame-rate than what we receive because that is a waste of resources.
  • We always reduce the frame-rate before we reduce the resolution.

Combining bandwidth, resolution and frame rate:

  • If sufficient bandwidth: The VMR platform will support 1080p for content share while handling 720p for people video.
  • If 1080p content can be supported by the available bandwidth but not 720p for people video: people video will be throttled down to be sub-720p.
  • If insufficient bandwidth for 1080p content share: the VMR will try to support 720p content share and people video is best-effort.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.